Comments on the Blog

All comments left on blog are moderated before publishing.

Sunday, February 15, 2009

Winning the Race


I do believe that life is a journey, not a race. But, I also believe that there are many races within that journey. Most of you know I am a NASCAR fan. Today was their 'super bowl' of NASCAR--The Daytona 500. In racing, they have the really big race at the beginning of the season, and end with the Championship race in November. Today, they called the race early due to rain. So, the winner was the one in first place at the call. He was not the favorite to win, in fact, he had to start at the back due to changes made to the car after practice yesterday! He took his time, making his way to the front without too many problems. His crew chief had good pit strategy, and the driver & crew followed his instructions.

The driver that won today was actually win less last year. He came close a few times, but was never able to cross the finish line first. However, he is not new to the sport and knows that you just have to keep trying. The race is not over, until it is over. That is so true in life as well! No matter how many times we fall, or "fail to finish a race", we have to keep trying! There are so many things thrown in our paths that try to stop us--health issues, family problems, money troubles, etc. These can certainly slow us down, but if you choose to get back up and keep trying, you will win that race!

I know it sounds kind of silly, but I constantly try to look at the things in my life that have slowed me down, so to speak. I learn what I can from them, and I choose to move beyond them. It may take years to do it, but since life really is a journey, that doesn't really matter. Plus, it is always God's timing anyway! I have discovered that His timing is perfect in every way, even when we do not understand it.

So, one race is over and another begins just as quickly. True in racing, and in life.

Thought for today: "Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us." Hebrews 12:1

3 comments:

  1. I'm not a big fan of racing, but I am a big fan of yours...very well said and timely, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry the race was cut short....never did understand watching cars running around a track, but hey, whatever makes you happy! I like watching grown men hitting a ball...

    We sang this hymn in church today and it really touched my heart. Wanted to share it. Am here praying!

    1. Speak, O Lord, Thy servant heareth,
    To Thy Word I now give heed;
    Life and spirit Thy Word beareth,
    All Thy Word is true indeed.
    Death's dread power in me is rife;
    Jesus, may Thy Word of Life
    Fill my soul with love's strong fervor
    That I cling to Thee forever.

    2. Oh, what blessing to be near Thee
    And to hearken to Thy voice!
    May I ever love and fear Thee
    That Thy Word may be my choice!
    Oft were hardened sinners, Lord,
    Struck with terror by Thy Word;
    But to him who for sin grieveth
    Comfort sweet and hope it giveth.

    3. Lord, Thy words are waters living
    Where I quench my thirsty need;
    Lord, Thy words are bread life-giving,
    On Thy words my Soul doth feed.
    Lord, Thy words shall be my light
    Through death's vale and dreary night;
    Yea, they are my sword prevailing
    And my cup of joy unfailing.

    4. Precious Jesus, I beseech Thee,
    May Thy words take root in me;
    May this gift from heaven enrich me
    So that I bear fruit for Thee!
    Take them never from my heart
    Till I see Thee as Thou art,
    When in heavenly bliss and glory
    I shall greet Thee and adore Thee.

    Prayer Bears
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  3. The problem with you having two sites is I can't remember if I signed in on the other site or not so adding it here....
    It's a privilege to be able to pray for your family!
    Isaiah 40:28-31 Hast thou not known? hast thou not heard, that the everlasting God, the LORD, the Creator of the ends of the earth, fainteth not, neither is weary? there is no searching of his understanding. He giveth power to the faint; and to them that have no might he increaseth strength. Even the youths shall faint and be weary, and the young men shall utterly fall: But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.
    Prayer Bears
    My email address

    ReplyDelete

I love getting feedback from all of you! If you would like to comment, please remember that this is an open site and everything can be seen by others. If your message is personal and for my eyes only, please send an email instead!

mblackshear@hotmail.com