Comments on the Blog

All comments left on blog are moderated before publishing.

Friday, March 27, 2009

Posing A Question



UPDATE: I have found the original essay! At least I don't have to start from scratch! AMEN

Technology is a great thing. We have come so far, just in my lifetime. I remember records, and dial phones; 'tv' dinners in foil pans that you cooked in the oven. We didn't own a microwave until I was in high school. Cameras had flash bulbs that actually sparked, smelled bad, and were extremely HOT. In fact, I was still typing papers when I left college 16 years ago! LOL

Our first computer was given to us in 1998. It had a dot matrix printer. We thought we were so HIGH TECH! K and I laughed about this yesterday. Now, laptops are the norm, wireless printers can be used by a whole network, and some people even have internet access on their tiny phones--which, by the way, were unheard of just a few years ago! (Oh, and computer literacy was not part of the core curriculum in college either!)

I am really not here to reminisce, I am here to pose a question: When the technology that you rely on so heavily throughout your day decides to not work, what do YOU do? Our microwave stopped working a few months ago, and we were forced to go back to regular old cooking on the stove top! (Yes, K, you CAN have hot dogs without a microwave! Hee Hee) That is not so bad, but when the computer and/or internet stops working, WHAT do you do?

Some days, I spend an inordinate amount of time trying to fix the problem. I haven't even taken my college computer class yet, but I learned all I know by trial and error, so surely something will work? Not so much.

The dilemma is, do you spend the time trying to fix the problem and hope you can continue with your tasks, or do you stop messing with it and work on something else with that time you have
unexpectedly been given?

While working on college scholarship applications, I discovered that the fabulous essay I wrote and worked so hard to create and save, was saved....on the computer that was stolen from our house!!! I asked a friend that helped me edit it if she had it in her email, but the computer SHE used is not working right either. Hmph. My computer/technologically gifted son told me to check my chat history. There was HOPE after all...until I checked the settings that tell me I delete the messages after I sign out. (Not anymore, thank you very much!)

Now the deadline is rapidly approaching and I have to come up with another fabulous essay. Time to get off this computer, which by the way was NOT working right last night, and get writing. There are so many other things in my head, I sure hope that I can push them aside and 'pull up' what I need to know for this one thing! No thinking about taxes not filed, Spanish projects not finished, bills that need to be paid, the house that needs cleaned, the essays for a contest K wants to enter, the help I was supposed to give my mom on HER new computer several weeks ago, the list that needs made for free-cycle items, and the newest: grad school to become a junior college teacher! See, this is why I need the computer BRAIN to work, so once I am done with something, I can hit "save" and know it will be there when I come back for it!

Have a great day. I hope that all of your technology works for you today, and every day! One more thing: back up everything on files separate from your computer! You never know when you might need some irreplaceable document, to file a college scholarship application, so you can actually go on to grad school and become a teacher of future nurses and medical students!...No doubt, they will be technologically far superior to little 'ol me. Bah!

4 comments:

  1. Did you email it to your friend using like Yahoo or gmail. Did you delete that email???

    Is it in your sent emails??? Is it in your friend's old received emails. Even if she can't get into her computer, she can access her email from your computer and look for the sent file. You can open your attachment from your sent files, too. I have done that before. Since I use more than one computer between work and home, I can never remember where a document is, but it is always in my mailbox somewhere. Another application you can use that is free and accessible from everywhere is Google Docs. Check it out. You can work on a document without emailing back and forth between partners. You each can access the document at the exact same time. It is a cool thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I yell for my son-in-law to come and save me...and I now have two computers so unless the internet's out I'm still good to go.......
    These words are so very special and full of comfort! Praying in Seattle!
    John 14:1-3 Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me. In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.
    Prayer Bears
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  3. CB messed everything up with their big "makeover." Like coming here much better! Sign the guestbook, type in the letters and I'm good to go! not so on CB anymore!
    Know that I'm here praying!
    Revelation 22:16-17 I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star. And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely.
    Prayer Bears
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  4. Continuing to pray in Seattle!
    Psalms 27:1, 4-5 The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?...One thing have I desired of the LORD, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD, and to enquire in his temple. For in the time of trouble he shall hide me in his pavilion: in the secret of his tabernacle shall he hide me; he shall set me up upon a rock.

    Prayer Bears
    My email address

    ReplyDelete

I love getting feedback from all of you! If you would like to comment, please remember that this is an open site and everything can be seen by others. If your message is personal and for my eyes only, please send an email instead!

mblackshear@hotmail.com